The Fossil Free Japan website (the “Site”) aims to promote the campaign to pressure the Japanese government and companies to stop financing and supporting all overseas fossil fuel projects. Specifically, the Site gives information about the Japanese government and companies’ involvement in fossil fuel projects, publishes blog posts on campaign activities and serves as a landing page for relevant digital marketing campaigns.
The Site is managed and operated by the following organizations (jointly and each hereinafter referred to as “Fossil Free Japan” , “Coalition”, “we” or “us”) who are jointly responsible as joint controllers and jointly determine the purposes and means of processing of personal data in accordance with data protection obligations.
Oil Change International
714 G St. SE #202
Washington, DC 20003
Email address: email@example.com
Friends of the Earth Japan
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
We act as data controllers in relation to data we process for our own purposes for example in the marketing, legal, statistics, administrative and compliance area. In respect to our own purposes, the Coalition regards all entities in the coalition as part of one group and often our joint activities (e.g. content creation, marketing campaigns) relate to Fossil Free Japan and not the individual entity. Also, staff of all entities collaborates and cooperates together. Thus, we concluded agreements as follow:
- All entities in the Coalition collaborate in joint processing activities related to all below mentioned Fossil Free Japan purposes;
- Internally, data subject requests are primarily handled by Friends of the Earth Japan;
- In case you contact us, we will coordinate in order to respond to your inquiry and to guarantee your rights as a data subject.
- Our main establishment is located in Japan
Fossil Free Japan entities share data for the internal administrative purposes (as per recital 48 of the GDPR);
Each Fossil Free Japan entity may conclude agreements with processors also on behalf/ for the benefit of the other Fossil Free Japan entity;
Information Collection and Use
For a better experience while reading content on this Site, we may require you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including but not limited to your name, and email address, such as when you sign up to our form. The information that we collect may be used to contact you with information about and/or from our Site and our campaign partners, either by email or through third party advertising campaigns. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email we send. If you are under 16 years of age, consent must be sought from someone with parental authorization.
When you visit our Site, we collect information that your browser sends to us that is called Log Data. This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser version, pages of our service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, and other statistics.
Uses of Google Marketing Services
In order to improve our users’ experience, we may use Google Analytics and Google Ads features such as Remarketing, Google Campaign Manager, Google Display Network Impression Reporting and/or Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting.
Information collected by our cookies will not personally identify you. It does, however, identify your computer and connection to the Internet. We only collect general information about your computer settings, connection to the Internet (e.g. operating system and platform), IP address, browsing patterns, and interactions within our Site.
With regards to Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, we may use data from Google’s Interest-based advertising and/or third party audience data (e.g. age, gender and interests) with Google Analytics to target and optimise our marketing campaigns, strategies and our Site content.
For more information about Google Marketing Services, please visit Google Marketing Platform.
Use of Facebook Marketing Services
This Site utilizes the Conversion Tracking Pixel service of Facebook Inc. This tool allows us to follow the actions of users after they are redirected to a provider’s website by clicking on a Facebook advertisement. We are thus able to record the efficacy of Facebook advertisements for statistical and market research purposes, including to redeliver the same advertisement to the user. The collected data remain anonymous. This means that we cannot see the personal data of any individual user. However, the collected data is saved and processed by Facebook. We are informing you on this matter according to our information at this time. Facebook is able to connect the data with your Facebook account and use the data for their own advertising purposes, in accordance with Facebook’s Data Use Policy at Facebook Data Policy.
Facebook Conversion Tracking also allows Facebook and its partners to show you advertisements on and outside Facebook. In addition, a cookie will be saved onto your computer for these purposes. If you would like to revoke your permission, please visit Facebook Ad Preferences.
Use of LinkedIn Marketing Services
This Site utilizes the Conversion tracking service of LinkedIn. This tool allows us to follow the actions of users after they are redirected to a provider’s website by clicking on a LinkedIn advertisement. We are therefore able to record the efficacy of LinkedIn advertisements for statistical and market research purposes, including to retarget future advertising to the user. The collected data remains anonymous. This means that we cannot see the personal data of any individual user.
For more information about LinkedIn Marketing Services, please visit LinkedIn Marketing Solutions.
Use of Email Marketing Services
When you complete the signup form in our Site, you give your consent to us sending you information about our services or third party organisation services that may be of interest to you. At the time of signing up, we collect your name, email address, and location. We will also record the time and date of completion. We use this information to send you updates about our Site and to tailor any follow up marketing communications with you.
We may also disclose personal information to our parent companies and other affiliates and related bodies corporate, as well as to third party partners and organisations including partners and organisations with whom we run campaigns.
We use a third-party service, MailChimp, to send out our communication emails and administer our mailing list. For more information about MailChimp Marketing services, please visit MailChimp Data Protection Regulations.
You may unsubscribe at any time via the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email.
When you unsubscribe from our list, your details remain on the list of unsubscribed accounts. This is a MailChimp measure to prevent situations such as accidental re-adding lists. If you want to be permanently removed from the list – please contact email@example.com.
This Site also utilizes various third-parties Cookies (or browser cookies), a small file stored on your computer, to enable certain functions of the Site, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.
The type of cookies and how they are used:
- Necessary Cookies: These cookies allow us to operate our website. They enable you to move around the website and use its features.
- Functional Cookies: These cookies let us operate the website and application according to your preferences. They enable the website and application to remember choices you make (such as language, or the region you are in.) Without these cookies certain features of our websites won’t work, and you may find that our website is less convenient and reliable.
- Analytics Cookies: We use these cookies to analyse how our website is accessed, used or performing. These cookies collect information about how visitors use our services, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from webpages. We use this information to maintain, operate, and continually improve the website.
- Targeted Advertising Cookies: We use these cookies to serve you with advertisements that may be relevant to you and your interests. They are usually placed by advertising networks, such as Facebook, and LinkedIn, with our permission.
If you are interested to find out more about Cookies, visit All About Cookies.
We do not share your personal information outside of our Coalition for marketing or other business purposes except in certain circumstances, including:
- When you allow us to share the information, such as when you:
- Register your interest or involvement in our campaign by completing the signup form;
- Share one of our blog posts to your social media feed;
- Use third-party features on our Site, such as commenting features or submitting a form run by third-parties;
- When we cooperate with other organisations as our partners to offer joint campaigns, if necessary and if a data sharing statement is imposed;
- When our service providers are providing services on our behalf regarding personal information. For example, we may use third party services to host a petition, to provide certain features on our Site, or to create connections or integrations between the third-party applications;
- To exercise or protect the rights, property (including intellectual property), or safety of our Company, our users, or others; and to comply with legal requirements.
Please note that once personal information is shared with another third party, the information received by the other party becomes subject to its privacy policies and practices.
We may also share aggregated information (such as usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with interested third parties to help them understand the usage patterns for our Sites or those of our partners. However, this sharing will not disclose any of your personal information.
Data International Transfer
In order to provide our services to you, we may disclose the information which we process to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Regardless of the location of our processing, we will impose adequate data protection safeguards and implement appropriate measures to ensure that your personal data is protected in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
In relation to our operations in Japan and the United States, we may, in the course of providing products and services, disclose personal information to overseas entities including by utilising overseas data servers to process information. Those overseas entities may be located in the United Kingdom and/or the EEA.
If you reside in the European Economic Area or Switzerland (collectively the “EU”), we rely on the following lawful grounds under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) to process (collect, store, and use) your personal data: (a) it is necessary for the performance of a contract; (b) our or a third party’s legitimate business interest; or (c) your consent. Our partners determine the lawful grounds for the processing of personal data submitted through their use of our Services and we limit such processing to our partners’ instructions.
Data retention time period
Log data, as defined above, is retained using third party platforms including, but not limited to, Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Log data will not be collected if website visitors decline using the opt-out function. Log data will generally be retained for the maximum permissible time defined by the third party platforms which we are using, but in some cases may be retained indefinitely. This data will not contain information which can be used to personally identify individual website visitors.
User data is stored in the following locations:
- Google marketing services data is stored in Google data centres. Find out locations of Google data centres here: Google Data Centers
- Facebook marketing services data is stored in Facebook data centres. Find out locations here: Facebook Data Policy
- LinkedIn marketing services data is stored on LinkedIn services, currently located in the US. Find out more here: LinkedIn Data Transfer
- Mailchimp marketing services data is stored securely in MailChimp servicers, currently located in the US. Find out more here: MailChimp Data Protection Regulations
To access some of our content, such as email newsletter and similar versions of this, you will be required to provide us with certain personally identifiable information, such as your email address and country location. This data will be used to send subscribers periodic communications about our content. Care will be taken to store this data securely. Personal data may be retained for as long as the subscriber has opted-in to receive this content. If you have requested to be unsubscribed from our Site email communications, generally your information will be deleted within five years of unsubscribing.
Right to request deletion of your data, stop communications, access, or correct data
If we rely on your consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose, you can withdraw that consent at any time. This includes the right to ask us to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes or to be unsubscribed from our email list at any time.
You also have the following rights under Article 13 and Article 14 of the EU GDPR:
- Users have the right to request that our Company does not share its data with campaign partners and other third parties. To make this request, please reach our team via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Erasure of your personal information – you can ask us for your personal information to be deleted from our records, by submitting a request to email@example.com.
- To access your personal information – you can write to us to ask for confirmation of what information we hold on you and to request a copy of that information. Provided we are satisfied that you are entitled to see the information requested and we have successfully confirmed your identity, we will usually have one month to comply.
- To correct your personal information – if you believe our records of your personal information are inaccurate, you have the right to ask for those records to be updated.
- You have the right to object to processing of your data.
- You have the right to data portability.
Right to lodge a complaint
Website visitors have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority in your jurisdiction. Since the audience of our Site is international, we suggest you contact the relevant data protection authority in your jurisdiction for this purpose.
Links to Other Sites
We have used technical and organizational security measures designed to secure your personal information from manipulation, loss, destruction or from being accessed by unauthorized persons. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls. The security measures are continually improved and adapted in accordance with the latest technology.
However, data provided that is unencrypted could potentially be viewed by third parties. The secure transmission of information via the Internet (e.g. by email) cannot be guaranteed. Sensitive data should therefore either not be transmitted at all or only via a secure connection (SSL).
Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. If you access pages and files and are then asked to enter personal data, please note that the transmission of such data via the Internet may not be secure and it may therefore be accessed and manipulated by unauthorized persons.
If a data leak or breach is suspected, all incidents need to be recorded and actioned with a preventative measure within 72 hours. The incident will be escalated internally within our Data Committee and action and remedy will be taken afterwards.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to make a request in relation to your rights stated above or ask any questions or make suggestions about the content on this page.